Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 5, 2013

Basil Focaccia


Today I was having a bolognese for dinner.
I love bolognese combined in the traditional way with spaghetti but today I just felt like something different, so I made this bread to accompany my sauce.
I'm not very experienced in the art of bread making and I've only ever made sweet bread until now.
I think one of the reasons I shied away from bread is because I had this idea in my head that it was really hard to make I thought that I would find it difficult to know whether I had kneaded it enough or left it to prove for long enough or any other number of worries.
What I've learned it that really there's no need to worry about these things. Most recipes will give you quite detailed instructions, so you will know whether your dough is the right consistency or exactly how long you need to let it prove for.
It is quite simple, really!
Focaccia is quite a simple bread to make, with few ingredients in it.
I dotted the top of mine with finely chopped basil, but you can use whatever herb you want depending on what you're serving it with.

Continue reading for recipe.
Makes one large, flat loaf

Adapted from Lorraine Pascale

Ingredients
  • 500g strong bread flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 x 7g sachet fast-action yeast
  • 80ml olive oil, plus some extra for drizzling
  • 200-250ml warm water
  • 1 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
  • Large pinch sea salt
Put the flour in a large bowl along with the yeast and salt. Add the olive oil and about half the water. A dough will begin to form, gradually add more of the water. You want a soft, but not sticky dough which can be easily kneaded.
Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface. You will know it is ready if you prod the dough and it springs back. If it doesn't, continue to knead for a few more minutes.
Shape the dough into an oval and place onto a floured baking tray. Flatten out to about 30cm x 20cm in size. 
Preheat the oven to 200C. Cover loosely with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about an hour, or until almost doubled in size. With a floured index finger make indentations on the top of the dough and fill with your chopped basil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown.
Remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil. It is best to serve this bread when warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment